Our Conscious Cleanse Clean Eating Challengers submitted their homemade cleanse recipes as a part of our recipe contest. We received so many amazing recipes, but could only pick three winners! Give them a try!
By Sonja Wapstra
- 1.5 litres chicken stock, boil and reduce stock of 3 chicken carcasses or buy pre-made stock
- 1 chicken breast, diced
- 2 leeks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 red or green chili pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Small bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- Other herbs of your choice like sage, oregano, etc.
Fry the onions and garlic with a little olive oil and when brown, add the leeks and chicken breast. Fry until soft/cooked/brown.
In a separate pot, combine the chicken broth and veggies. Boil initially, then change to simmer until vegetables are soft, then add herbs, rice, fried onions, leeks and chicken.
Add water and/or more chicken stock if required and salt and pepper to taste.
(Tip: if you make chicken stock from carcasses the night before and refrigerate - you can scrape off any excess fat the next day as the fat solidifies.)
Gluten-Free Summer Pasta Salad
By Bonnie Luther
- 1 (8-ounce) box Lentil & Quinoa Rotelle (or other short pasta)
- 1/3 cup jarred pesto
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 cups baby arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water. Place the drained pasta in a mixing bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and toss well to combine everything. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Ultimate green smoothie
By Amy Cohen
- 1 large handful of parsley, large stems removed (can sub with any other green of choice)
- 1/2 granny smith apple
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 to 3" pieces of cucumber, peeled
- 1/2" piece fresh ginger root
- 1/2" piece fresh turmeric root
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Cinnamon to taste
- Filtered water, vary depending on desired thickness of smoothie
Blend all ingredients together until smooth and enjoy! Bonus: drink down to about 2 inches then fill with water to make a refreshing juice.