1 bunch of kale
2-3 carrots, grated
1/3 cup of roasted pumpkin seeds (or use your favourite nut or seed)
1/4 cup dried fruit (optional) such as dried cranberries, currants or raisins
Essential Salad Dressing to lightly coat (recipe below)
1. Boil some water in a big pot.
2. Clean and de-stem kale and place in a steamer above pot.
3. Steam for 1-2 minutes, just until kale turns bright green and wilts.
4. Now run it under cool water to stop the cooking process. Squeeze the water out of the kale and chop it finely.
5. Put steamed kale into a bowl with other ingredients an toss to combine.
6. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup flax oil
2/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp mustard
1 clove garlic, grated or minced
pinch chili flakes, cayenne or black pepper (opt)
1. Put all ingredients into a mason jar, put the lid on tightly and shake before using.
2. Add optional herbs like thyme, chives, cilantro... or even sun-dried tomatoes.
3. Keep in the fridge. It expires on the date of the flax oil you used.
Andrea Potter is a classically trained Chef and a Registered Holistic Nutritionist. Her love of nutrition and organic, whole foods and healthy lifestyle brought her to Radha Yoga and Eatery; a culinary vegetarian hot spot in Vancouver, where she was the head chef for over 3 years. While at Radha she studied at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, graduating as a Registered Holistic Nutritionist in 2009. This is also where she started bringing her knowledge of nutrition and food to the public by teaching healthy cooking classes.Through her business, Rooted Nutrition, Andrea teaches healthy cooking classes and offers one- on-one nutrition consultations, helping her clients to integrate healthy and delicious foods choices into their lives.
Website: Rooted Nutrition
Facebook: Rooted Nutrition Vancouver