Hero Pose is a relaxing and meditative posture with many benefits:
- Stretches the thighs, knees and ankles
- Strengthens the ankles and arches of the feet
- Improves digestion
- Soothes the mind
- Reduces swelling of the legs and feet during pregnancy
- Knee pain or injuries
- Ankle pain or injuries
- Place a block or bolster under your hips
- Bend forwards for a more restorative version
1. Start in a kneeling position with your thighs parallel and your knees hip width apart.
2. Bring your forehead to the floor and press your hands into your calve muscles. Gently slide your hands down the length of your calves toward your ankles flattening your calves as you sit your buttocks down between your legs. If your hips don’t reach the ground, or you feel pressure in your knees, place a block or cushion under your hips.
3. Place your hands on your thighs and lengthen your spine. Press your toenails into the ground to continually activate your legs. Stay here for up to one minute, or move into Reclining Hero pose.