A Healthier You with Kate Leinweber: Improve Metabolism and Lose Weight (August 2011)
This segment will educate on ways to improve metabolism with the goal of losing weight.
1. Avoid congesting foods like dairy, excess refined grains (white foods), and a high meat based diet. Lightening the load on digestion allows the body to clean up areas that have stored excess over time.
2. Increase vegetable based foods in the diet.
3. Start day with lemon in water to boost digestion, then slowly wake up the digestive system by waiting 30 minutes, have a mug of homemade vegetable broth or juice, 30 minutes, then piece of fruit, 30 minutes, then a simple breakfast of oatmeal or granola, or smoothie.
4. Coconut oil is thermogenic which means it increases the metabolism of each cell of the body. Add it to smoothies, spread on toast, and use in cooking. You can also make a coconul oil tea by adding some to warm water 30 minutes before each meal. Coconut oil is high in lauric acid which boost the immune system and also will allow help with portion control by triggering you to feel full faster during a meal
5. Avoid eating 2 hours before going to bed. This allows your body to rest and repair the body and clear out anything it doesn’t need.
6. Of course this is complimented by a regular physical exercise routine like Yoga!