Saving Places: Saving Places: The Church of the Holy Cross (2010)
In 1905, deep in the interior of British Columbia, 17 native woodcarvers built a church out of cedar – without power tools or architectural plans, but only some postcards of French cathedrals, given to them by the Oblate missionary priests. For 100 years, this magnificent all-wood cathedral has been the heart of the local native community.
But over time, the log foundation has shifted, cracked, and rotted. The Church of the Holy Cross, a National Historic Site, needs a new foundation before it falls down and is lost forever.