- 1 cup of dried black beans, soaked for 8 hours or overnight with a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 piece of kombu seaweed
- 6 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup of diakon radish or carrot
- 1 oz of arame seaweed, soaked in water for 5-7 minutes, drain
- 1 oz of wakame seaweed, soaked for 5-7 minutes, drain
- 1 Tbsp unpasteurized miso, diluted in 1/2 cup of water
- fresh chopped green onions to top
- Place drained and rinsed black beans in a soup pot with 6 cups of water and kombu. Cook for 1 hour.
- Put in ginger, fennel, carrot or daikon, and shiitakes.
- Cook for another 30-45 minutes. Check the beans for softness. When the beans are still firm soft, add in arame, wakame and a pinch of sea salt.
- Cook until beans are soft and flavors harmonize. Take off heat and add miso and top with chopped green onions.