If you like oatmeal then you will love this super simple, delicious, and healthy family-style dish. Overnight oats have even more health benefits with the addition of superfood seeds and berries---no cooking required! Just mix, pour, and store. Make this for your next family brunch, or store it in the fridge all week for a health go-to any time of day.
Serves: 8 - 10
Why It's Good For You:
Whole rolled oats are gluten free by nature and contain a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. They also contain a powerful fiber called beta-glucan that has been linked to improving cholesterol levels and boosting heart health. Chia seeds and hemp seeds both contain vitamins, minerals, protein and essential fatty acids that help keep your cell membranes healthy and permeable, which allows nutrition in and waste out. This low-sugar meal will keep you full and leave you feeling energized.
(use organic where possible)
- 4 cups whole rolled oats, preferably organic
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk, or non-dairy milk of your choice
- 2 cups berries or other fruit for the top
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- Raw honey, maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- Combine all ingredients except the fruit in a 2-quart dish or pan.
- Cover and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Top with fruit, serve cold or warm through in a 350°F (170°C) oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add a splash of almond milk, if desired, before eating.
- While oats are gluten-free by nature, they are typically stored in large containers that may have also contained gluten-containing grains which can cause cross-contamination. Look for oats specifically labeled gluten-free if you have an allergy or concern.