Baked eggs is always go-to for me when I go out for breakfast. Usually, it's one of the better options on the menu - but it's also very easy to make at home. The challenge? Ramping up the nutrition in this cafe fave! We love this style of breakfast because it is packed with nourishing ingredients and protein to keep you going for your weekend. Plus it makes the house smell amazing while it's baking
Why It's Good For You:
We've really ramped it up by adding in celery, zucchini, capsicum and loads of fresh herbs. Herbs are jam-packed with health-promoting chemicals, and they have more antioxidants than most fruits and vegetables. Herbs such as rosemary - which is an anti-cancer compound, memory enhancer, mood elevator, migraine killer, immune booster and improver of digestive health.
(use organic where possible)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, butter or ghee
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 small zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 small capsicum, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of sea salt and ground pepper
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- Handful of fresh green herbs
- 4 organic, free range eggs
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat a little oil, ghee or butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for a little before adding, celery, zucchini, and capsicum. Continue to sauté until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir through spices, followed by the tinned tomatoes.
- Lastly, stir in fresh green herbs.
- In 2 small baking ramekins or 1 large dish, divide tomato mixture evenly.
- Make indents in the mixture and crack an egg into each indent and top with rosemary.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until your eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Serve topped with spinach, diced avocado, and fresh herbs.