Before your afternoon or evening workout, top up your tank with one of these energizing balls.
Why It's Good For You:
During the day you run your tank dry. Most of us often feel sluggish in the afternoon and look for a pick-me-up to give us the boost before our training session. It is important to feed your body carbohydrates before your afternoon workout for a consistent energy release during training. This recipe contains medjool dates and oats for a hit of carbohydrates, fats from almonds and chia seeds to slow down the energy release, and lemon and turmeric as preventative measure against post-workout inflammation.
(use organic where possible)
- 12 Medjool dates
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup almonds or cashews
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp turmeric ground
- Extra 1/4 cup shredded coconut for dusting
- Remove the pits from dates and place in food processor.
- Add the other ingredients to the food processor and blend until mixture turns into a dough-like consistency.
- With a small spoon, scoop the mixture and roll into balls. Roll the balls in shredded coconut and place on the baking sheet. Chill until firm.
- Store energy balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator until serving.