Insanely delicious, healthy chicken tacos in less than 25 minutes of hands-on time? Count us in! Learn Elizabeth's no-fuss method for making perfect chicken tacos, plus learn the key ingredients to build the ultimate healthy chicken taco once it's done. This will be your new Taco Tuesday go-to for sure, and no one even has to know that you prepared it on Sunday.
Serves: 8, easily scaled to serve more or less
Why It's Good For You:
For people who do well on animal protein, it doesn’t get much better than these healthy chicken tacos simmered in the slow cooker in antioxidant-rich spices. Packed with protein and flavor, the health aspect of this dish goes even further by serving them in lettuce cups with gut-healthy fermented salsa. Pile on any veggies you want, and don’t forget the avocado for an extra dose of healthy monounsaturated fats that are shown to reduce unhealthy cholesterol levels, keep your skin hydrated, and help you feel full. Elizabeth’s simple healthy chicken tacos will please your taste buds and keep you full all night long.
(use organic where possible)
- 1 cup purified water or chicken stock, if preferred
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tbsp mild or medium chili powder
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 4-5 spins of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, preferably organic (that's about 4-5 chicken breasts)
- 1-2 limes, juiced for garnish
To serve with:
- Butter lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves, or your favorite healthy tortillas
- Fermented salsa or pico de gallo
- Shredded cabbage
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together, except onion.
- Add chicken breasts to slow cooker (aka CrockPot).
- Pour liquid mixture over the chicken and place onion on top of breasts.
- Cook 2-3 hours on high, or 4-5 hours on low, until internal temperature of each breast is 165°F.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks, store or serve. Squeeze lime juice over meat before serving.
- Serve in lettuce cups or your favorite tortilla with fermented salsa or pico de gallo, shredded cabbage, avocado and/or cilantro.