Broccoli has never tasted so good! We promise you this creamy soup will be a hit with the kids too. You don't need dairy to make soups creamy. With this recipe, you can make a hearty broccoli soup full of flavor with aromatic spices and homemade cashew cream.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium brown or white onion
- 1 medium carrot, grated (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed, grated, or finely chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 cups unsalted bone broth, divided (or chicken stock, or veggie stock), plus one cup for the cashew cream below
- 2 tsp sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
CASHEW CREAM BASE
- ½ cup cashews, soaked
- 1 cup of vegetable stock (or bone broth)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Sautée the onion with a large pinch of sea salt until soft and fragrant.
- Add the grated carrots and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the broccoli, cauliflower, and sea salt with black pepper and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Then add 3 cups of vegetable stock (or bone broth) and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer 20 to 25 minutes until the broccoli and cauliflower florets are tender and can be pierced with a fork.
- To make the cashew cream base, purée 1 cup of bone broth with the cashews, nutritional yeast, and sea salt until the cashews are emulsified into a cream all in a high-speed blender.
- Leave the cashew cream in the blender, then add the cooked cauliflower florets. Purée until smooth.
- Reserve the cream and cauliflower mixture in another bowl, then add the rest of the broccoli, veggies, and stock to the blender. Pulse a few times until coarsely puréed.
- Add the broccoli mixture to the cream mixture back to the pot and stir together.
- Serve hot or store in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Freezes well.
You can choose to soak your cashew nuts over night otherwise you can do a quick soak, where you use hot water and soak for 1 hour.