Caramelized Figs with Nut Crunch and Coconut Ice Cream
We always have frozen bananas in the freezer for when the sweet tooth strikes! They make such a nice and smooth dairy-free ice cream. Add a few ingredients and you have the quickest and tastiest dessert!
Oh, and remember -- bananas are one of the original superfoods!
Why it's so good for you:
Eating bananas will help prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against macular degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing calcium absorption. Bananas are also high in antioxidants, providing protection from free radicals and chronic disease.
Figs are such a unique fruit, packed with fiber, several minerals including magnesium, calcium, potassium and more. They're said to be the fruit of fertility.
(use organic where possible)
CARAMELIZED FIGS WITH NUT CRUNCH
- 4 figs
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp nuts, roughly chopped
COCONUT ICE CREAM
- 3 large bananas (frozen)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Cut figs in half. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add your chopped figs.
- Simmer the figs for a few minutes, then add in your maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Add the shredded coconut and chopped nuts. Mix to evenly coat.
- Let cool while you make your ice cream.
- Cut the bananas into small chunks and freeze until solid.
- Add the frozen bananas, shredded coconut, vanilla, and ground cinnamon into the food processor or high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately and top with caramelized figs and nuts.
- For this recipe, you will need to cut up your bananas and place in a freezer-safe container. Freeze until solid before making the Coconut Ice Cream recipe.