Many of you might cringe at us remaking such a classic dessert like the Lemon Curd Tart, but we promise this is just as good as the classic version you know and love; just healthier!
Creating healthier desserts can easily be achieved by tweaking a few simple ingredients. For example, in this classic, lovable dessert we've swapped out gluten-containing grains and flours in the base for nourishing nuts and gluten-free oats which make the perfect crunchy base. Then we've added things such as natural sweetener, coconut oil, and cacao butter to make a healthier curd.
Convince your friends and family that healthy baking is still delicious with this treat!
(use organic where possible)
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- ½ cup gluten-free oats
- ¼ cup almonds
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 3 tsp rice malt syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Desiccated coconut
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 4 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cacao butter (optional)
- Prepare your springform or tart pans by greasing the bottom and sides of a tart pan with coconut oil, then sprinkle some desiccated coconut over the springform pan to prevent tart from sticking.
- Add macadamia nuts, oats, almonds, dates, salt and rice malt syrup to the food processor.
- Pulse until a sticky crumble forms.
- Cover the base and sides of a tart pan and press down firmly. Place bases in the freezer to set.
- To prepare the lemon curd, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, and honey in a bowl.
- Pour into a saucepan over low heat and continue whisking.
- Add the lemon juice, coconut oil, vanilla and cacao butter.
- Continue to whisk on medium heat until everything is melted and the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and pour into your prepared tart pan covering all the base mixture as evenly as possible.
- Place in fridge to set.