Do you love apple pie? Learn how to create a healthy, raw apple pie! The preparation may be long, but trust us, it is well worth it!
Why it's so good for you:
Rich in antioxidants and dietary fiber, apples help reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 2 cups almonds, soaked for at least 8 hours
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 4 apples, chopped
- 4 apples, shredded
- 1 cup dates, soaked
- 1 cup walnuts, soaked for at least 12 hours and roughly chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- Nutmeg, cinnamon and lemon zest to taste
- 1 cup almonds, soaked and peeled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups dates, soaked in organic apple juice
- For the crust, place almonds, dates and orange zest in a food processor and process until a dough-like consistency forms. Brush a pie dish with flax seed oil. Using your hands, press the crust mixture into the dish to form a crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours to set.
- For the filling, process the soaked dates. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with hands.
- Add the apple mixture to the pie crust, pack the filling with hands.
- For the almond cream, add the almonds, vanilla, dates and juice to a blender and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on pie.