Enjoy this probiotic-rich side with all of your favorites! It's amazing for your digestion.
Why It's So Good For You
Sauerkraut is an amazing addition to your diet. It has a long shelf life, a distinctive sour flavor, and is rich in probiotics to support your digestive system and immune system.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 2 medium cabbages, red or green, or one of each (approx. 2.5 - 3 lbs)
- 3 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp caraway seeds (optional)
- Veggie starter culture or 1 tbsp rapadura (unrefined cane sugar) or raw honey
- Remove cores from cabbages and thinly slice using a food processor or good knife.
- Place in a large bowl and add the salt, caraway seeds, and veggie culture starter/ sugar/ honey.
- Mix with your hands, squeezing firmly and pushing down the cabbage with your fist to encourage the salt to draw the natural water out. Continue to do this for the next 15 minutes or so. You want to extract enough of the cabbage juice so that it will cover the cabbage when it goes in the jar or pot.
- Transfer the cabbage to the jar, also pour in all the liquid. You want the cabbage to be submerged in its juices. (If there's not enough juice, just add a little water.)
- Once the cabbage is completely submerged in the brine, cover with a lid or tea towel and leave at room temperature in a dark corner of your kitchen for 1 - 3 weeks (less time in summer, longer in winter).
- It's ready when it tastes sour and tangy and the cabbage has become soft. Skim off any white scum that appears on the surface. This is a harmless natural 'kahm' yeast and nothing to worry about.
- Once sufficiently fermented, seal and store in the refrigerator. It will last 12 months unopened, and 2 months once opened.
Audio Languages: English
Satay SauceS1:Ep4 2 mins
Simple SauerkrautS1:Ep5 4 mins
Avocado DressingS1:Ep6 2 mins
You Might Also Like
Nut ButterS1:Ep4 3 mins
Coconut Banana BreadS1:Ep5 4 mins
Sweet Potato FriesS1:Ep6 2 mins
Avocado Probiotic CupS1:Ep5 2 mins
Raw Coconut Rough Ice CreamS1:Ep4 2 mins
Activated NutsS1:Ep3 2 mins
Donna Gates Cultured VeggiesS1:Ep2 16 mins
Toasted PepitasS1:Ep2 2 mins
Avocado Chocolate MousseS1:Ep3 2 mins
Rocket FuelS1:Ep8 12 mins
Seaweed ChipsS1:Ep1 2 mins
Pumpkin Choc Chip CookiesS1:Ep1 3 mins
Sign up for free videos and the latest from Gaia