Warming Bean Stew with Sautéed Kale
This warming bean stew is hearty, comforting and only takes moments to prepare.
Why it is good for you:
Cannellini beans are an excellent source of protein, antioxidants, iron and dietary fiber. They also contain several nutrients including vitamin K, and minerals like copper, phosphorous, calcium, manganese, potassium and molybdenum, making them the hero in this dish. Due to high fiber content, they help stabilize blood sugar levels in the body and provide long lasting energy.
The many health benefits of tomatoes are due to their wealth of nutrients and vitamins. They are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K, as well as significant amounts of vitamin B6, folate, and thiamin. Tomatoes are also a good source of potassium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, and copper.
While cooking often reduces the levels of vitamins in tomatoes, some of these beneficial components remain intact. Cooking tomatoes increases the levels of the beneficial phytochemical lycopene. Consuming high levels of lycopene has been known to lower the risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1/4 tsp ground chili or cayenne pepper
- 2 x 14 oz (2 x 400 g) tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 14 oz (2 x 400 g) tins of cannellini beans
- 5 sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 kale leaves, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium - high heat, add oil the garlic and sauté until fragrant and softened.
- Add the Italian herbs, ground chili, sun dried tomatoes, chopped tomatoes and cannellini beans and cook on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- When the stew is warmed through and cooked, you can start cooking the kale.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add coconut oil, add kale and sauté for 2 minutes
- Add apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for another 1 minute.
- Serve the stew in a bowl with the sautéed kale.
- If using a slow cooker, simply add all stew ingredients to the crockpot or slow cooker and cook on low for about 4-5 hours (or less depending on your slow cooker).
- If you are going to be consuming the soup within 4 or so days you can just place it in an airtight container in the fridge. For longer storage, the soup can be portioned and stored in an airtight container in the freezer until you want to consume. Defrost and reheat as necessary.