Why it is good for you:
The secret to this pasta is the homemade basil pesto. The hero in this dish is the basil.
Did you know there are actually 35 different types of basil? Basil contains antioxidant-rich volatile essential oils. These volatile essential oils are what give the herb its distinct smell and taste and they're also responsible for the healing benefits of basil.
Basil contains disease-fighting antioxidants, and has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. When buying basil, look for brightly colored leaves that are firm and aren't wilted; or simply grown your own.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 1 bunch of basil
- 100g (3.5 oz) walnuts
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 100g of cooked gluten-free brown rice pasta.
- 1 cup green vegetables of choice (spinach, broccoli, bok choy, etc)
- Fill a large pot with water, add a good pinch of sea salt and place on medium heat on the stove.
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package or until al dente, and lightly steam your green vegetables.
- To make the pesto, add all ingredients to a food processor and process until well combined.
- Drain the pasta, stir through the pesto and green vegetables and serve in a bowl or on a plate.
We recommend choosing an organic brown rice pasta containing no additives