This easy, delicious dish will quickly become a family favorite; you don't even have to tell them it's healthy. Use it as a side dish for just about anything, or even serve it up as the main event. Elizabeth also shows you how to make perfectly cooked, great tasting quinoa every time. It's the perfect pasta replacement for gluten-conscious eaters.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 clove garlic, pressed, grated or finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 red bell pepper, quarter inch chopped
- 6 green onions, root removed, white and part of the greens chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, rough chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Prepare the quinoa.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk the olive oil, cumin, garlic, lime, salt, and cayenne.
- Rinse and drain the black beans, then chop the veggies.
- Add the cooked quinoa, beans and veggies to the bowl and gently fold it all together with the dressing.
- Let it chill in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes to let the flavors come together.
Tips for preparing the quinoa
- To prepare the quinoa, rinse it well in a fine mesh colander and let all of the water drain.
- Add the rinsed quinoa to a pot and add double the amount of purified water or veggie stock, minus two tablespoons since there is liquid in the rinsed quinoa. (For example, 1 cup dry quinoa needs 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons of liquid.)
- Bring the pot to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 12 to 15 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed and the little 'tail' of the quinoa has sprouted out.
- Fluff with a fork and reserve for your recipe.