The combination of apples, cinnamon, and cloves is like a burst of flavor and perfect served with Kultured Wellness yogurt.
Serves: 12-14 serves per batch
Why It's Good For You:
Fermented apples are the perfect food for detoxing the body from heavy metals. They contain apple pectin which helps push out heavy metals from the body. Apples also contain an antioxidant called quercetin. Recent studies have found that quercetin can help boost and fortify your immune system, especially when you're stressed out, and can also lower a histamine response.
(use organic where possible)
- 2kg apples, cored and cut into wedges
- Handful cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp cloves
- Filtered water, to cover
- ¼ cup coconut kefir
- Cabbage leaves
- Place the apples, cinnamon, cloves, and kefir in a 2 L fermenting jar.
- Cover with water until the apples are completely submerged in liquid.
- Use the cabbage leaves to hold down the apples under the brine line so the apples don't go moldy.
- Seal and leave to ferment for 2 days.
- Transfer to the fridge.
- Make sure you leave some space between the vegetables and the top of the jar to allow fermentation.
- You may use a starter culture of choice. You can purchase starter cultures from health food stores or online.