Start your day with this delicious blend of nuts, seeds, spices and natural sweetener!
Why It's So Good For You
Nuts are high in protein and a great source of healthy fats. Soaking increases the nutrient value of the nuts along with breaking down the problematic compounds to help enhance their digestibility. Enjoy this energizing breakfast thanks to the mix of protein, healthy fats and delicious natural sweetener!
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 2 cups (280g) mixed activated nuts (almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, pecans, walnuts)
- 1 cup (130g) seeds (we used a combination of sunflower, pumpkin & chia seeds) if you wish you may like to activate the pumpkin & sunflower seeds
- 1 cup (100g) shredded coconut
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup or raw local honey (or to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 320°F (160°C) and line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Pulse all ingredients (except coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract) in blender or food processor until chunky.
- Combine coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract.
- Add 'wet' mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring well to ensure all of the dry ingredients are well coated.
- Spread evenly on lined baking tray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir well with a fork to avoid clusters forming.
- Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Check regularly to avoid burning.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely before storing your granola.
- Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Consume within 1 week for freshness.
- Serve with almond milk or organic coconut yogurt (or dairy if preferred) and fresh or frozen blueberries.
Activated means soaked in water overnight, rinsed and drained. Soaking the seeds will activate the seed making it more bio-available to your body, helping to prevent blood sugar spikes, decreasing cholesterol and keeping you hydrated longer.