This healing detox broth is extraordinarily rich in nutrients and makes for a great base for soups.
Makes: 10 cups
Why it is good for you:
This broth uses a range of different vegetables, herbs and spices which provides essential nutrients and tastes delicious. If you are looking for a vegan or vegetarian broth, then you can simply omit the chicken carcass from the ingredients.
Bone broths are extraordinarily rich in protein and minerals. Glycine supports digestion and the body's natural detoxification process; and proline, especially when paired with vitamin C, supports good skin health.
Bone broths are also rich in gelatin, which is great for healthy skin and joint health. Gelatin also supports digestive health.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 6 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp mixed dried Italian herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano etc.)
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper (ground or whole)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (or 1 tbsp fresh turmeric, chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger powder (or 1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2¾ quarts (11 cups) of water (to yield 10.5 cups or 1.5 cups per day for 7 days)
- 1 large chicken or chicken carcass (optional for chicken broth)
- Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaf, dried herbs, sea salt, pepper, turmeric, ginger, apple cider vinegar, and water into a pot or slow cooker. If making chicken broth, place chicken carcass.
- If you're making the vegetable broth, slow cook or simmer for 2-4 hours; and if you're making the chicken broth slow cook or simmer for 6 to 10 hours.
You can use the amount of salt called for in the recipe, or you can reduce the amount if desired.