Healthy Carrot Cake
Take your ordinary carrot cake to the next level and make something which is not only dairy-free, but also healthy and yummy!
Makes: 18-20 slices
(use organic ingredients where possible)
FOR THE CAKE MIX
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup dried dates
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice (optional)
- 3 cardamom pods, seeds crushed
- ½ tsp star anise
- 1½ cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup whole walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
FOR THE ICING
- 1½ cups cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1 cup young coconut flesh
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp miso (shiro miso paste)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 340ºF (170ºC). Line a round and deep standard-size cake tin with baking paper. Set aside.
- To prepare the cake mix, add the eggs, maple syrup, dates, and coconut oil to a food processor and process until a thick mixture is formed.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the grated carrot and water, and set aside.
- Combine the spices, flour, baking powder, coconut, walnuts, raisins, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir gently until the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40 to 55 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Check, and if necessary, bake for 8 to 10 more minutes.
- To prepare the icing, add the ingredients to a blender. Blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge for 30 minutes while your cake is baking.
- When completely cool, spread onto the cake, decorate and serve.
Audio Languages: English
You Might Also Like
Spring RollsS1:Ep11 5 mins
Toggie SproutsS1:Ep14 15 mins
Spicy EggplantsS1:Ep13 19 mins
Un-Fried RiceS1:Ep12 6 mins
Raw PizzaS1:Ep10 7 mins
Green Breakfast BowlS1:Ep15 13 mins
10-Minute Salmon & Watermelon Mint PopsS2:Ep3 11 mins
Sign up for free videos and the latest from Gaia