Delicious, dairy-free hot cross buns, it's time for these to go into the oven!
Makes: 8-9 large buns
(use organic ingredients where possible)
FOR THE BUNS
- 70g coconut oil
- 250g soy milk or any nut milk
- 1 tbsp baker's yeast
- 60g coconut sugar
- 500g white spelt flour
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp allspice and cinnamon
- 150g raisins or sultanas
FOR THE PIPING
- 80g flour
- 1 tbsp maple
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Add the coconut oil, sugar, yeast, warmed milk, and egg to a bowl and mix well.
- Then, add the rest of your ingredients and mix. Once mixed, tip out onto a bench and knead.
- Preheat the oven to 420°F (220°C). Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper and set aside.
- Add the coconut oil, milk, yeast, sugar, and flour to your dough mixer.
- Mix for a few seconds and then add the egg, spices, salt, and raisins.
- Knead the dough for at least 8-10 minutes. Place it into an oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and keep in warm place for 30 minutes.
- Place the dough on a cutting board, press down on the dough, and divide it into 8-12 equal pieces. Form into rolls and place close together onto the prepared baking tray.
- To prepare the piping, mix the ingredients until well combined. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and pipe a cross on the top of each bun.
- Let the buns sit for 15 minutes to continue to rise.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and brush with the maple syrup. Allow to cool slightly and then pull apart and eat.
Featuring: Chef Cynthia Louise
Audio Languages: English
You Might Also Like
Sign up for free videos and the latest from Gaia