Tired of boring health food snacks? Try these easy, addictive, on-the-go energy bites; we've heard people call them a party-in-your-mouth. Using fiber and mineral-rich dates as a base, this chocolatey snack satisfies your sweet tooth and provides extra energy for your busy lifestyle.
Makes: 24 balls
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- ¼ cup hazelnuts
- 15 dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp cacao (raw chocolate) powder or substitute unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond butter
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sea salt
- In a food processor, blend the hazelnuts into a medium-fine powder. Overall, it should be an even grind.
- Remove the blade from the food processor and transfer the ground hazelnuts to a plate, where the energy bites will be rolled out.
- Put the blade back in your food processor and add dates, raw cacao, almond butter, chia seeds, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and sea salt.
- Run the food processor for a minute, then stop and scrape down the sides, this may be repeated once or twice. Once the mixture forms a ball, it should be done.
- Transfer the mixture to your cutting board. Scoop into the mixture, roll into a ball with the palms of your hands, then coat the balls in the ground hazelnuts until evenly coated.
- Place all the energy bites on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Store in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to one week.