Eggplants are the ultimate brain food! That bright purple skin isn't just pretty, it contains anthocyanin phytonutrients, a fancy name for a powerful antioxidant. This has been shown to fight against those nasty free radicals and protect the lipids in brain cell membranes. So feed your brain with this recipe.
(use organic where possible)
- 6 long japanese eggplants, cut lengthwise
- 3 long red chilies, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 6 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Coconut oil
- Add some coconut oil and your eggplants to a large pan on medium heat.
- Cook until quite soft and cooked all the way through. They should be slightly golden brown.
- Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan on medium heat, add a splash of coconut oil, and the chilies, garlic, shallots, salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Turning up the heat to high, add your tomatoes and kaffir lime leaves.
- Stir constantly and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat allowing it to rest for 5 minutes.
- Blend in your blender until smooth.
- Combine the eggplants and sauce together in the pan and reheat for 4-5 minutes.