16 Ways to Tell if Your House Has a Paranormal Visitor
Are you encountering unexplainable footsteps walking down the hallway, items disappearing, lights turning on randomly? These may be signs that your house is haunted. All hauntings are different and can vary from hearing a door slamming occasionally all the way to seeing full apparitions.
It is important to understand if your house is haunted to determine the steps to take. According to About.com, below are the 16 signs that your house is haunted.
- Unexplained noises – These noises can include footsteps, knocking, banging, scratching, something being dropped. These noises can be subtle and other times they can be quite loud.
- Doors, cabinets and cupboards opening and closing – Very rarely will the experiencer ever witness this phenomenon take place. Most often the experiencer will hear a door open or close and when it is investigated the door is typically in the opposite position than it was previously placed in.
- Lights turning off and on – Lights will turn on and off when the experiencer knows they previously left it on or off. This occurrence is also rarely witnessed. This can also happen to electrically powered devices like TVs and radios.
- Items disappearing and reappearing – This phenomenon is called the DOPler Effect (DOP = Disappearing Object Phenomenon). Experiencers will place a normal, everyday object in a typical spot in the house. Later when they go to retrieve that item, the item is gone and nowhere to be found after a thorough search. Hours, days or weeks later, the object reappears in the exact position it was left in before it went missing.
- Unexplained shadows – Fleeting shadows are normally seen out of the corner of our eyes. These shadows typically take human forms, also known as Shadow People, while other times they are less distinguishable or smaller.
- Strange animal behavior – Dogs will sometimes bark at something unseen, cower without reason or refuse to enter a room they normally do. While cats seem to be watching something move about the room. Animals do have sharper senses than humans, many researchers feel their psychic abilities are allowing them to notice this behavior quicker and better.
- Feelings of being watched – Many people tend to get the feeling of being watched throughout the day, however, it may have a paranormal source if the feeling is consistently occurring in a particular part of the house at a particular time.
These next signs are rarer phenomena, but could be stronger evidence of a haunting:
- Mild psychokinetic phenomena – Actually seeing a door open or close, a light flick on or off, or a child’s toy turn on by itself. Others state that they can hear or feel something sitting on the bed next to them.
- Feelings of being touched – Some feel something brush past them, touch their hair or a “hand” on their shoulder. Others can feel a gentle poke, push or nudge.
- Cries or whispers – Some can hear voices, whispering, crying or even music from an unknown source.
- Cold or hot spots – cold spots in your house is one sign that your house can be haunted.
- Unexplained smells – a fragrance of perfume or cologne does not exist in your house. This phenomenon may be accompanied by shadows, voices or psychokinetic phenomena.
Very Strong Signs
Poltergeist activity is rare, but is strong evidence of a true haunting:
- Moving or levitating objects (severe psychokinetic phenomena) – some instances of this phenomena include plates sliding off the table, pictures flying off the walls, doors slamming with great force or furniture sliding across the floor.
- Physical assault – This type of phenomena is very rare, but includes scratches, slaps and hard shoves.
- Other physical evidence – This can include unexplained writing on paper or walls, hand prints and footprints.
- Apparitions – This very rare phenomena is a physical manifestation of a spirit or entity. These human shaped forms can be seen as mist, transparent or solid.
Interested in more? Check out our Halloween Collection
How a Near Death Experience Enhanced My Consciousness
There’s no doubt that consciousness is rapidly expanding throughout the human race. My coffee cup is about to start talking to me. A lot of what was once considered ridiculously paranormal has now been empirically-proven and popularly embraced. In fact, the human race is clearly now a race between the realization of how expanded consciousness plays in the creation of our world and the destructive consequences that ignoring it has caused and continues to cause every day.
Consciousness as an Elemental Force
So what does that have to do with near-death experiences (NDEs)? Well, now it seems even science is converging on the ancient—but currently revolutionary—concept that consciousness itself may be an elemental force: a field, like gravity. It might be an eternal quantum field of being, necessary for the formation of material life – rather than the other way around (this idea is nicely, and controversially, proposed by Dr. Robert Lanza, of Wake Forest University). And what are NDEs but further testimonies of the continuation of consciousness beyond physical life?
Co-Creating our Reality
The rapidly growing Near-Death Movement, based on thousands of testimonies of people who have experienced consciousness beyond the limitations of our physical life, is yet another example of humanity’s spiritual potential. It’s additional evidence of our ability to co-create whatever reality we participate in, be it on the earth right here, or in that sweet hereafter.
I’d never given any of it much thought until the power and meaning of my own three NDEs arose and compelled me to write a book that put me into the hub of the hubbub. I’ve since discovered that the community of near-death experiencers ranges somewhere from five to fifteen percent of the general population globally. Now that’s a whole lot of non-ordinary reality!
Consciousness – and Individuals – Are Unique
Naturally, I have less reason than the average Joe to doubt the veracity of all that testimony; but I have found plenty of reason to ask this question: why is it that near-death experiences are all so different? If we’re all governed by eternal, invisible machinery, why do we see such a range of afterlife options, all tailored to the individual participant? Shouldn’t we all go down that identical tunnel into the light and meet Grandpa in the shimmering fields of Elysium?
Some near-death returnees report celestial extravaganzas. Some tell of organizations of elders and angels, structured in an elaborate cosmic framework. For others, it’s a hellish nightmare, complete with every infernal cliché. The reason for all these differences can be simply explained if we consider the way we’re always participating in the field of consciousness, how we are always creating our own individual realities.
The Continuum of Consciousness
My own NDEs were humble by comparison, but they all had one glorious factor in common; that I did not lose consciousness when I lost consciousness. In fact, all three times, I experienced an enhanced consciousness, seamlessly uninterrupted from this life to the next.
Skeptics suggest this sense of continuity is the result of a still-active mind – a mind not yet fully “dead.” And they’re right. Since consciousness is a field we eternally participate in, our minds never do die, they simply join a greater mind. The Hindu Vedas suggested that thousands of years ago. Dear old Dr. Jung described it too, way back in the 20th century. The mind continues working.
“Memory ensures that nature creates individual forms that are copies of the primal universal forms.”
And as for the differences, well, imagine someone dying, and awakening in this world. What would they experience? The war in Syria? A recital by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? Perhaps a high-powered business lunch, or that visit to Grandpa’s? In this elemental context, we all imagine the life we are living and live it. We all enter into the life we need to experience. This is the mystery of any incarnation, and it will continue to be the mystery from this life to the next (although NDEs do generally suggest that things are better explained over there).
The Unharnessed Power of the Mind
And what if all bets were off when it comes to our greatest potential imaginable – the unharnessed power of mind? What if our imaginations were released from the obvious limitations of this physical form? Almost anything is possible here and now––how about a world where your imagination is set free to manifest reality without material limit?
In “the next world,” as in this one, our imagination is like the clay; consciousness is like the ever-spinning potter’s wheel, and the source of power is like, well, The Source of Power. Welcome to every life (and afterlife) you will ever live – and remember, whatever life you’re living, always look for the love!
Article originally published Oct. 4, 2014