16 Ways to Tell if Your House Has a Paranormal Visitor
Are you encountering unexplainable footsteps walking down the hallway, items disappearing, lights turning on randomly? These may be signs that your house is haunted. All hauntings are different and can vary from hearing a door slamming occasionally all the way to seeing full apparitions.
It is important to understand if your house is haunted to determine the steps to take. According to About.com, below are the 16 signs that your house is haunted.
- Unexplained noises – These noises can include footsteps, knocking, banging, scratching, something being dropped. These noises can be subtle and other times they can be quite loud.
- Doors, cabinets and cupboards opening and closing – Very rarely will the experiencer ever witness this phenomenon take place. Most often the experiencer will hear a door open or close and when it is investigated the door is typically in the opposite position than it was previously placed in.
- Lights turning off and on – Lights will turn on and off when the experiencer knows they previously left it on or off. This occurrence is also rarely witnessed. This can also happen to electrically powered devices like TVs and radios.
- Items disappearing and reappearing – This phenomenon is called the DOPler Effect (DOP = Disappearing Object Phenomenon). Experiencers will place a normal, everyday object in a typical spot in the house. Later when they go to retrieve that item, the item is gone and nowhere to be found after a thorough search. Hours, days or weeks later, the object reappears in the exact position it was left in before it went missing.
- Unexplained shadows – Fleeting shadows are normally seen out of the corner of our eyes. These shadows typically take human forms, also known as Shadow People, while other times they are less distinguishable or smaller.
- Strange animal behavior – Dogs will sometimes bark at something unseen, cower without reason or refuse to enter a room they normally do. While cats seem to be watching something move about the room. Animals do have sharper senses than humans, many researchers feel their psychic abilities are allowing them to notice this behavior quicker and better.
- Feelings of being watched – Many people tend to get the feeling of being watched throughout the day, however, it may have a paranormal source if the feeling is consistently occurring in a particular part of the house at a particular time.
These next signs are rarer phenomena, but could be stronger evidence of a haunting:
- Mild psychokinetic phenomena – Actually seeing a door open or close, a light flick on or off, or a child’s toy turn on by itself. Others state that they can hear or feel something sitting on the bed next to them.
- Feelings of being touched – Some feel something brush past them, touch their hair or a “hand” on their shoulder. Others can feel a gentle poke, push or nudge.
- Cries or whispers – Some can hear voices, whispering, crying or even music from an unknown source.
- Cold or hot spots – cold spots in your house is one sign that your house can be haunted.
- Unexplained smells – a fragrance of perfume or cologne does not exist in your house. This phenomenon may be accompanied by shadows, voices or psychokinetic phenomena.
Very Strong Signs
Poltergeist activity is rare, but is strong evidence of a true haunting:
- Moving or levitating objects (severe psychokinetic phenomena) – some instances of this phenomena include plates sliding off the table, pictures flying off the walls, doors slamming with great force or furniture sliding across the floor.
- Physical assault – This type of phenomena is very rare, but includes scratches, slaps and hard shoves.
- Other physical evidence – This can include unexplained writing on paper or walls, hand prints and footprints.
- Apparitions – This very rare phenomena is a physical manifestation of a spirit or entity. These human shaped forms can be seen as mist, transparent or solid.
Interested in more? Check out our Halloween Collection
Can Past Life Regressions Provide Evidence of Reincarnation?
Could your love of sushi be proof that you were Japanese in a past life? Maybe not, but for a group of 24 Burmese children it might be. After WWII, a large group of children in Burma claimed they remembered being Japanese soldiers in their past life and could not tolerate the spicy Burmese cuisine; instead they craved raw fish.
This concept of reincarnation is widely held in many parts of the world, especially areas where Hinduism and Buddhism are practiced, but not until recently has it come to be a widely accepted idea in the western world. Like other eastern philosophies that are becoming more and more pervasive in our culture, reincarnation has become more plausible, especially in the context of past life regressions.
Remembering Past Lives
It’s been estimated that about a million people have accessed past life memories in one way or another. But the most common method is through a guided therapy session with a psychotherapist. During these sessions, the subject is put under hypnosis while a therapist guides them with directions and questions.
Regressions can range in time periods, locations and ages, and are often cathartic as they help patients access memories that are somehow tied to physical afflictions or anxiety experienced in the current lifetime.