This recipe is really quite fun to make and feed to friends -- a firm favorite with anyone who tries it. I always love the surprise on peoples' faces when they realize it's made with eggplant which provides such a great mud cake-like texture.
Make, bake and enjoy!
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 cup dark chocolate (or any kind of chocolate preferred)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- Preheat oven at 400°F (200°C).
- Steam eggplant, weigh out 370 grams.
- In a separate small saucepan or double-boiler, melt chocolate and coconut oil together.
- Blend dates, cacao powder, salt, maple syrup, bicarb soda, baking powder, and flour into a food processor.
- With a slightly oiled spoon, scoop mixture into an oiled/floured/lined muffin molds.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove and leave to cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool and harden further. Cover with icing, or serve 'as is' with coconut yogurt and fresh fruit.