Who needs gelatin when you have agar! Created from specific types of red algae, agar is a wonderful, safe, and flavorless vegan/vegetarian alternative to gelatin. Agar exists in powder, flakes, and sheet form, however, this recipe calls for the powdered variety, given it is much easier to dissolve in liquid compared to its other forms.
One very important thing to note when using agar: it cannot be substituted for the same amount of gelatin -- less is more given its strong gelling powers, so be sure to stick to the recipe unless you want a stiffer, more jelly-like panna cotta which also tastes great!
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 400ml full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp instant organic coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp fine agar powder
- In a small saucepan, combine milk, coffee, and vanilla extract. Whisk over a low-medium heat.
- Add coconut sugar. Whisk well before increasing heat to a simmer. As soon as simmer bubbles form, turn heat down and add in agar powder.
- Whisk vigorously to ensure no lumps form -- agar will help thicken the mixture, so it must be mixed in well.
- Whisk for 30 to 40 seconds over low-medium heat to activate the agar powder's gelling ability.
- Remove from heat and pour into molds.
- Scoop off any bubbles from the surface and leave to cool for 5 minutes before covering and placing in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
- Serve on its own or with a side of coconut yogurt and fresh berries or crushed seeds, etc.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days -- if they last long!
Audio Languages: English
Waffle ConesS1:Ep3 4 mins
LicoriceS1:Ep4 6 mins
You Might Also Like
Green SmoothieS1:Ep12 3 mins
Raw Red Capsicum WrapS1:Ep13 5 mins
BruschettaS1:Ep10 2 mins
Greek Salad with Almond FetaS1:Ep7 5 mins
Chia PuddingS1:Ep11 2 mins
Satay NoodlesS1:Ep14 4 mins
Raw Omega 3 BallsS1:Ep8 3 mins
Garden PizzaS1:Ep6 7 mins
Banana BreadS1:Ep9 1 min
Almond MilkS1:Ep1 6 mins
Mushroom StroganoffS1:Ep5 19 mins
Fruit SaladS1:Ep5 2 mins
Cyndi O'Meara DinnerS1:Ep4 7 mins
Donna Gates Cultured VeggiesS1:Ep2 16 mins
Sign up for free videos and the latest from Gaia