Coconut ice is typically made with the kinds of sickly sweet ingredients that are not in any way supportive of your gut or overall health. This recipe allows you to recreate a much healthier version - such a fast n' fabulous recipe to pull together when you've got friends or family coming over. It's also great to take to baby showers, birthday parties, and work morning teas because let's face it, this goodness must be shared!
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 2 cups dried desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut butter, liquefied
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- ½ tsp beetroot powder
- To create the slice, place all ingredients, excluding beetroot powder, into a food processor and blend until mixture is well combined.
- Divide and press one half of the recipe into slice tin.
- Place in the freezer to set.
- Add beetroot powder to the remaining half of the coconut mixture in a food processor.
- Blend to create the pink coconut mixture.
- Pour over the top of the white coconut layer and place in the freezer to set.
- Slice and serve once solid.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- If you have coconut butter that is too firm/solid, rest it in a bath of hot water to soften.
- If you need to make coconut butter, place at least 700g of desiccated coconut into a high speed food processor and blend on high until it resembles coconut butter -- approximately 10-15 minutes.