This is a great soup recipe for a cold, winter day. Adding leftover white or brown rice, will make this soup more hearty. Beans are an excellent source of iron and protein.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1 onion (diced)
2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 cans (398 ml) black beans
2 cups vegetable stock (or 2 cups filtered water + 1 bullion cube)
1-2 tsp. chipotle pepper paste
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cayenne
-organic plain yoghurt
-green onions (chopped)
1. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are transparent.
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, puree one can of black beans and liquid.
3. Add vegetable stock, pureed beans, and 1 can of whole beans and liquid to saucepan. Reduce heat to medium low.
4. Add chipotle pepper paste, sea salt, and cumin. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings. When ready, remove from heat. Top with yoghurt and green onions and serve.
Chipotle pepper paste can be made by pureeing one 7oz. can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. The paste can be stored in a glass jar and will keep in the refrigerator for several months.
This article was provided by Farah Nazarali, founder of The Smiling Yogi. Click Here to learn more about Farah or go to TheSmilingYogi.com for more nutrition information.