5 Ways to Harness the Power of Divine Feminine Energy on Your Spiritual Journey
Our world is one of dualities. It always has been. Black or white. Man or woman. Up or down. Good or evil. Light or dark.
As humans, we’re no different. Our dual nature, or twin nature, is incredibly powerful when it’s balanced. But, as many of us know personally, let this nature go unchecked and one of the twins is bound to take control, leaving us feeling all sorts of things, among them, is the overwhelming sense that we are completely lost.
For some people, this feeling of being “lost” hits when they’re quite young, propelling them on a journey, either spiritual, heroic, or both, in order to find that “missing” piece. For others, it takes much longer to be awakened to this emptiness. And, for some, they never realize it at all during this lifetime.
The twins being discussed can go by lots of different names, but one of the easiest ways to think about them is the masculine and the feminine. Depending on where you live, how you live, and your natural inclination, one of these twins tends to be more dominant. This means that, unless you are consciously working to achieve balance, you will naturally be guided off-kilter, erring more towards the masculine or feminine nature of your being.
And while every human has both the masculine and the feminine, and both are equally important to our well-being, there is something magical about the feminine nature that is so often overlooked or neglected in our modern society. Because we are fueled by a “get-more-done” mindset, constantly on a mission to achieve more, do more, get more, the masculine energy is fed more than the feminine, leaving many of us feeling empty, depleted, and exhausted.
Why Your Spiritual Journey Needs Divine Feminine Energy
The energy of the feminine embodies the nurturer, the healer, and the peacemaker. While the masculine energy is focused on doing, the feminine energy revels in being. This distinction is why it’s so important to leverage the power of the feminine while moving through your spiritual journey.
Far and wide schools focus on teaching you how to do, wiring us from the get-go to craft our lives around a career or professional journey, not a spiritual one. We’re given tools to help us do anything we want, except follow our spiritual journey. This is exactly why so many people, when they hit that moment in life where they feel lost and empty because of the misbalance between the twin energies, are left not knowing what to do next. They can create a resume, sure. But can they navigate the windy, mystical roads of spirituality and being?
5 Easy Ways to Use the Divine Feminine Energy in Your Spiritual Journey
“The feminine in men and women alike enjoys the flow of life and love, revels in the ability to enjoy beauty, nature, textures, colors, and experiences. Fullness is the feminine principle. If you have a feminine essence, you love the chaotic swirl of life, nature, bliss, color, texture, flavor, and communion. You love to relate, exchange, dance, celebrate, adorn and deepen into the fullness of existence.” — Tantra teacher Michaela Boehm
This insight into the nature of the divine feminine is a great place to start when learning how to bring more of her presence into your spiritual journey.
1. Get Outside. Creating a communion with mother nature is one of the first things people are drawn to do when embarking on their spiritual journey. Why? Because in nature the feminine creative energy runs wild, its physical beauty visible and palpable. The more you are able to get outside, the more you are able to re-balance your twin energies. Even five minutes of fresh air or a short walk barefoot in the grass can be enough soul food to awaken your divine feminine.
2. Say Yes. What are those things you’ve always wondered what it would be like to do? What are those dreams of yours you just haven’t chased? You have desires and ideas for a reason, and a lot of them are coming directly from your divine feminine side. By saying “yes” to some of these experiences (without spreading yourself too thin), you can feed the “chaotic swirl” that your feminine side craves.
3. Create Rituals. Rituals are a celebration of life. They are a way to take time to acknowledge the beauty and fullness present in each moment, which is precisely why they are essential for bringing more divine feminine energy into your life. The more you are able to awaken your senses with these rituals (think things that involve altars, essential oils, food, and self-care), the more you will invite feminine energy to help guide you on your spiritual journey.
4. Learn Something New. The feminine energy desires to “deepen into the fullness of existence,” which means she’s always hungry for experiences. What can you do today that’s a little outside of the norm? Making conscious choices to enjoy new experiences will not only lead you further down your spiritual path, but it will help you balance out the masculine-energy dominance that is so prevalent in society today.
5. According to Dr. Habib Sadeghi, the co-founder of Be Hive of Healing in Agorura Hills, CA, integrating more feminine energy into our lives involves “giving ourselves permission to be who we really are.” Living our best life, he says, is all about “learning to ignore the right things” and following the spiritual path that comes naturally before us. Journaling each day is a great way to learn how to release judgment, attachment, and other negative emotions that prevent us from fully expressing who we are. A creative act to boot, journaling is a simple way to start and end your day.
Above all, remember that taking the time to bring more divine feminine energy into your life in order to help you move down your spiritual path isn’t selfish; it’s your god-given right. In the words of author Elizabeth Gilbert, “You are a unique event in the history of the universe. There has never been a you—not your particular soul, living at this particular moment, faced with your particular challenges. Your existence is a mystery, a miracle, and an experiment of creation, and you are allowed to examine that mystery to the fullest.”
Once you accept that, you allow your real spiritual journey to begin.
How Krishna Brings Love and Non-Attachment Into Your Life
Vishnu, the Sustainer or Preserver, is a very important deity in Hinduism. He is one of the Trimurti, or the Holy Trinity, which consists of Brahma (the Creator), Vishnu (the Preserver), and Shiva (the Destroyer). In terms familiar to us, the three stand for beginnings, middles, and endings.
Through yoga, we begin to understand that everything has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Our practice is what helps us be more in the flow of everything which is constantly and always changing. As the Sustainer of the Universe, Vishnu is much like the breath that sustains our bodies or the love that sustains our soul.
Krishna the Gopala
When Vishnu descended to Earth in his Krishna avatar form, he was young. In his schoolboy years, he was also known as Govinda or Gopala. Govinda or Gopala means Cowherd or Finder of Cows. Gopala was often seen surrounded by cows and calves while playing his instrument, the flute. He tended to the cows within an agricultural community named Gokula, teaching many about the importance of cattle and how to sustain healthy relationships between humans and cows.
Krishna’s love for cattle is reflected in the yoga pose gomukasana, or cow face pose. It’s a seated hip opener that represents a cow head. The legs are bent and stacked on top of one another at the knees (cow mouth) and the arms assume archer’s arms (cow ears).
What Krishna teaches us about the cow face is that it is the best face we assume for people in our world whom we love and care about deeply. We learn to put our best cow face forward!