Vyaghrasana is a great core-strengthening pose in preparation for your practice. Lift your belly and hover opposite arm and leg to feel the foundational core strengthening for balancing and back bending poses.
- Blanket: For tender knees, place a blanket on the ground to add extra cushion.
- Wrist adjustment: For tender wrists, place your fist on the ground rather than a flat palm.
- Balance challenge: Lift and extend the corresponding arm and leg rather than the opposite.
- Begin in table top pose in the center of your mat, with hips directly over knees and shoulders over wrists.
- Keep your gaze down, neck in a neutral position.
- Shift your weight to your left hand and slowly extend your right hand forward, thumb toward the ceiling.
- Lift your naval up away from the ground and extend your right leg behind you, starting with toes touching the ground.
- Gently lift your right toes off the ground, extending the ball mound of your foot behind you.
- Draw your shoulder blades down your back and keep your hips level.
- Hold for 3-5 breaths then return to table top. Repeat on the other side.
- Vyaghra = tiger
- Asana = pose
- Stabilizes core muscles
- Prepares the body for backbends
- Can help improve balance
- Can help improve mental focus
- Thought to engage the solar plexus chakra