Make-Ahead Meal Prep Tips & Tricks
It's been said that failing to plan is planning to fail, so let's make a plan together! Having healthy meals on hand doesn't have to be complicated. Join popular food blogger and certified health coach, Elizabeth Rider, as she walks you through simple meal prep tips and tricks to ensure that you always have a healthy meal on hand.
- Always cook once, eat 2-3 times. For instance, if you're making overnight oats make 2-3 jars instead of 1, so you have something to grab and go. Casseroles and big pots of soups and stews are also great for this.
- On a Sunday, or any day you choose, pick 3-4 make-ahead meals, create a shopping list from the ingredients, cross out what you already have on hand, then head to the store. Spend 30-40 minutes grocery shopping, then 60-90 minutes cooking and prepping. You can create delicious and healthy go-to's in less than a few hours once you have your routine down.
- Pick up some glass storage containers and mason jars to portion out food. You want to be able to see what's in the container so it doesn't get pushed to the back and not used.
- A large dutch oven is also perfect for cooking, storing and reheating food. Just let it come to room temperature before you put it in the refrigerator, and take care to not leave the cast iron rim too wet to prevent rusting. If you take care of this piece it will last a lifetime.
- Find ingredient overlaps. For instance if you make shredded chicken for tacos, make extra to use in salads or Buddha bowls. Same goes for quinoa: if you're making a little, double it for another recipe.
- When in doubt, combine a healthy protein, whole food carbohydrate, a veggie, and healthy fat. An example could be chicken or beans with sweet potato, quinoa, and sautéed greens.
- Prepare items that are good hot, room temperature, or even cold. Veggie frittatas, oats, quinoa, rice noodles, and even shredded chicken are all examples of things that are great at any temperature.
Audio Languages: English
You Might Also Like
Cyndi O'Meara BreakfastS1:Ep2 11 mins
Black Bean & Quinoa Superfood SaladS1:Ep3 9 mins
Homemade Baked BeansS1:Ep2 1 min
Sign up for free videos and the latest from Gaia