I recently bought a bolster. Just a regular, cotton covered bolster with a very useful handle at one end. Having never used one until a couple of months ago, I now find this cylindrical lump of fibre to be an indispensable part of my life; yes, as in it’s useful in my everyday living, not just during my daily yoga practice.
There are so many uses for bolsters that go beyond the yoga mat, here are a few examples:
1. Replacement sofa. This is much better for your spine than a regular sofa. Either sit in a straddle or use it as a low level chair. Legs can be crossed in butterfly pose, straight or bent with feet flat on the ground.
2. A fantastic footrest. Perfect if, in the end, you decide to stick to the sofa.
3. Draught excluder. Place it under your door and keep cold weather at bay.
4. Stool. Step on it to reach for something off the top shelf.
5. Baby prop. Place the bolster under the baby’s armpits whilst they are laying on their bellies to help strengthen their arms, neck and back. They usually like the slightly raised perspective as well.
6. Tummy winder. I get my four-year-old to lay on it lengthways. With one hand on his sacrum, I gently roll him from side to side to ease a gassy tummy. He thinks it’s a lot of fun too.
7. Leg strengthener. Place it on top of your flexed feet whilst seated, and raise it up and down several times.
8. Balance challenger. Lay on it lengthways and try Locust or [Bow](/article/upward-bow-pose-or-full-wheel-pose-urdhva-dhanurasana pose). Feels a little different.
9. Situps spotter. Lay it over your feet as a weight while you do your situps.
10. Face plant protector. Place it in front of you when trying an arm balance. Makes for a softer landing if you fall.
11. Back rest. Place it vertically against a wall. I find walls to be cold against bare skin, so this is a nice solution for keeping the back upright. It also allows your shoulders to roll back, opening the chest up more.
12. Pillow. Self explanatory.
13. Pretend horse. A fun toy for your kids.
14. Pretend space rocket. Another fun and imaginative prop for your kids.
15. Replacement bed fellow. You can give it a good hug, and it doesn’t snore.
How do you use yours?