Traditionally, lassi is a yogurt-based chilled drink hailing from India, and either made sweet or savory. When making fruit lassi, mango is the most popular. This is my take on the mango lassi incorporated with chia seeds to make a filling, refreshing, vibrant mango lassi parfait. I never liked yogurt, so I didn’t use it here, but if you would like to use yogurt/non-dairy yogurt then leave out the cashews and water and add 1/2 cup yogurt. I just love the creaminess cashews bring to a dish or drink and I think they worked really well in this parfait.
Serving Size: 2
For the Chia Seeds: 2 cups vanilla flavored almond milk 1/3 cup white chia seeds 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup pinch of salt
For the Mango Lassi:
2 medium mangoes, peeled 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews 1/2 cup water 2 medjool dates, pitted pinch of salt pinch of ground cardamom 2 tablespoons chopped roasted pistachios (optional)
- Prepare your chia seeds the night before by combining almond milk, chia seeds, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt in a jar. Stir well, cover, and place in the refrigerator. After about 30 minutes, stir again to prevent clumping. Place back in the refrigerator overnight.
- Soak your cashews overnight in a jar filled with water.
- In the morning, remove chia and cashews from the fridge.
- Blend one mango along with the cashews, water, dates, and a pinch of salt until you have a smooth consistency.
- Dice the other remaining mango.
- Layer parfait in a large cup or jar: spoon chia mixture into glass/jar first, then mango lassi, fresh mango, repeat. Top with fresh mango, pistachios, and ground cardamom. Serve cold.