Who doesn’t love French fries? The crispy, salty deliciousness is enough to make anyone’s mouth water. If you’re smart, though, you’ll skip the McDonald’s extra large orders and whip up your own healthy batch instead. This way, you still get the “junk food” you crave, but also get a dose of nutrients and vitamins that are naturally preservative-and-additive-free!
Save about an hour to get these bad boys prepped (10 minutes) and cooked (40 minutes), but we promise, they will be entirely worth it. Your kids (or your husband) might not even notice that you’ve swapped out the starchy potatoes for crisp, clean and low-calorie rutabagas! It serves around four people.
Optional: you can try pairing them with these tasty dips, as well!
Ingredients 4-5 rutabagas (peeled, and sliced medium) 2 tbsp. olive oil ½ tbsp. lemon juice ½ tsp. sea salt ½ tsp. black pepper 4 cloves of garlic (minced) 4 sprigs offresh rosemar
4 tbsp. vegannaise or mayonnaise 2 tbsp. lemon juice ½ tsp. chipotle ½ tsp. chili powder ¼ tsp. sea salt
Sriracha Ketchup Dip
2 tbsp. ketchup 2 tbsp. Sriracha
- Wash and peel rutabagas, then cut into french fry-sized pieces, about ¼” by ¼”.
- Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss chopped rutabaga, minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Mix together using hands until the fries are lightly coated.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, removing once or twice to stir fries around on baking sheet.
- To make the sauces, combine the ingredients for each in a small bowl and mix using a spoon.