Starry-Eyed Synastry: Zodiac Sign Compatibility Guide
The notion of zodiac sign compatibility has been around for some time. It’s a bit of a dating cliche for some, who inquire after it to a suitor without perhaps knowing what it really means. However, it can be an important conversation starter that’s essential to evaluate early on.
Synastry is the art of relationship astrology and helps us understand how individuals interact with one another. According to astrologists, each individual is born with a personal birth chart, a map of the heavens for the moment they took their first breath. It is held that the birth chart has the effect of stamping, or imprinting, the energies of the planets and signs on an individual, which in turn can affect how we interact with others because of their own birth charts.
Each and every one of us has all 10 planets and luminaries in our charts, but their positions by sign, house, and aspect are individual to each. When we interact with others, the individual energies of our natal charts form special relationships with their individual energies. The resulting interplay is as complex and unique as our own personalities.
Free! Astrology 101 on Gaia
Discover the 17 essential astrology concepts you must know, right here on Gaia. Join Master Astrologer Rick Levine for this fascinating journey through planets, signs, and horoscopes. Sign up now – it’s free!
Synastry is a complex art that can shed some incredible light on our relationships. Before you dive in, for example, you need to think about what you really want out of life. What are your priorities? What’s on your bucket list? How much security do you need to feel comfortable? Someone with a sensitive water sign type, for example, could easily clash with the intense, passionate fire partner, which is something you might want to know for the long haul once the romance has worn off. Or conversely, if adventure and excitement is your priority, such as is the case for Aquarius or Sagittarius, Cancer’s tender loving home care could make you feel stifled instead of nurtured. These are important things to think about being committing to a serious relationship, so that you can avoid some serious and harmful tussles in your future.
Compatibilities for Each Sign
Here are the range of compatibilities for each sign from Astromatcha; for a more detailed view of each individual relationship, take a look at their site. They write of the signs, “Most astrologers making a compatibility chart will put opposite signs, signs which share the same element and trine signs (signs of a complementary element) as the most compatible with any given Sun sign. The least compatible Sun signs are usually thought to be inconjunct signs – these are the two signs on either side of your opposite sign. The rest of the Sun sign combinations offer varying levels of compatibility, depending on the amount of effort your put into your relationship.”
Also, be sure to keep in mind that this guide is a mere starting point. It can be a great conversational piece as you figure out your significant others’ likes, dislikes and other quirks. It also shouldn’t be the definitive deciding factor for your relationship, but merely something to take into consideration. After all, no compatibility chart is foolproof, as we as humans are all totally unique!
Watch Zodiac: Aries to Virgo for more information on sign compatibility.
Watch Zodiac: Libra to Pisces for more information on sign compatibility.
March 21 to April 20
- Most compatible signs: Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius
- Least compatible signs: Virgo, Scorpio
- So-so compatibility: Aries, Taurus, Cancer, Capricorn, Pisces
April 21 to May 21
- Most compatible signs for Taurus: Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces
- Least compatible signs for Taurus: Libra, Sagittarius
- So-so compatibility for Taurus: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Leo, Aquarius
May 22 to June 21
- Most compatible signs for Gemini: Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Aries
- Least compatible signs for Gemini: Scorpio, Capricorn
- So-so compatibility for Gemini: Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Virgo, Pisces
June 22 to July 23
- Most compatible signs for Cancer: Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces, Taurus
- Least compatible signs for Cancer: Sagittarius, Aquarius
- So-so compatibility for Cancer: Aries, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Libra
July 24 to August 23
- Most compatible signs for Leo: Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Aries, Gemini
- Least compatible signs for Leo: Capricorn, Pisces
- So-so compatibility for Leo: Taurus, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Scorpio
August 24 to September 23
- Most compatible signs for Virgo: Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces, Taurus, Cancer
- Least compatible signs for Virgo: Aquarius, Aries
- So-so compatibility for Virgo: Gemini, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Sagittarius
September 24 to October 23
- Most compatible signs for Libra: Sagittarius, Aquarius, Aries, Gemini, Leo
- Least compatible signs for Libra: Pisces, Taurus
- So-so compatibility for Libra: Cancer, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Capricorn
October 24 to November 22
- Most compatible signs for Scorpio: Capricorn, Pisces, Taurus, Cancer, Virgo
- Least compatible signs for Scorpio: Aries, Gemini
- So-so compatibility for Scorpio: Leo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Aquarius
November 23 to December 21
- Most compatible signs for Sagittarius: Aquarius, Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra
- Least compatible signs for Sagittarius: Taurus, Cancer
- So-so compatibility for Sagittarius: Virgo, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Pisces
December 22 to January 20
- Most compatible signs for Capricorn: Pisces, Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio
- Least compatible signs for Capricorn: Gemini, Leo
- So-so compatibility for Capricorn; Aries, Libra, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius
January 21 to February 19
- Most compatible signs for Aquarius: Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius
- Least compatible signs for Aquarius: Cancer, Virgo
- So-so compatibility for Aquarius: Taurus, Scorpio, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces
February 20 to March 20
- Most compatible signs for Pisces: Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn
- Least compatible signs for Pisces: Leo, Libra
- So-so compatibility for Pisces: Aries, Gemini, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Pisces
Welcome to the 2019 Earth Pig Year
On February 5, we leave the Earth Dog and enter the 2019 year of the Earth Pig, closing a major 60-year cycle in the Chinese calendar — it takes 60 years to roll through every animal sign and element in both yin and yang aspects. 2019 brings us Ji Hai, the Yin Earth Pig. The last Ji (yin earth) Hai (pig) was 1959, so those born in that year are celebrating their 60th birthdays.
Characteristics of the altruistic Pig are optimism, gentleness, kindness, and honesty. The Chinese believe that the barnyard pig’s temperament is much like humans, as pigs enjoy listening to music, and are highly intelligent. Zodiac Pigs also enjoy luxury, comfort, and good food.
Ten Heavenly Stems, Twelve Earthly Branches
Ten heavenly stems and twelve earthly branches, in combination with the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac, determine the qualities of a given year. The heavenly stems are derived from the elements of the Chinese quinary, or five-element system. Each element has a “yin” and “yang” aspect — passive and active — that make up the ten heavenly stems. For example, yin water (gui water) is represented by gentle rain, clouds, mist, dew, fog, and small streams and rivulets. Yang water (ren water) is lakes, oceans, and rivers. Yang water is in continual motion. The 12 animals are the earthly branches.
In 2019, the yin earth element (think of nurturing garden soil — gentle, maternal, supportive) combines with the pig or boar, associated with water; yin earth over water. While earth over water would normally be conflicted, the yin aspect of earth softens the relationship, bringing more harmony. That said, this is still an unstable combination (earth over water), so harmony is tenuous and delicate. The Pig’s water below can break through the flimsy yin earth above.
Some experts believe that the combination of fragile, yin earth over water could bring earthquakes, landslides, flooding — even sinkholes. The last time this heavenly stem (yin earth) and earthly branch (pig) met was 1959, when an historic earthquake (7.2) in Yellowstone Park permanently altered the regional landscape. A 7.9 earthquake in Kamchatka, Russia devastated that region, and the Malpasset Dam in Southern France collapsed. Taiwan and New Zealand had major 7.2 and 7.3 quakes. Chinese astrologers would suggest keeping your seatbelts fastened if you live in earthquake-prone zones.