Starry-Eyed Synastry: Zodiac Sign Compatibility Guide
The notion of zodiac sign compatibility has been around for some time. It’s a bit of a dating cliche for some, who inquire after it to a suitor without perhaps knowing what it really means. However, it can be an important conversation starter that’s essential to evaluate early on.
Synastry is the art of relationship astrology and helps us understand how individuals interact with one another. According to astrologists, each individual is born with a personal birth chart, a map of the heavens for the moment they took their first breath. It is held that the birth chart has the effect of stamping, or imprinting, the energies of the planets and signs on an individual, which in turn can affect how we interact with others because of their own birth charts.
Each and every one of us has all 10 planets and luminaries in our charts, but their positions by sign, house, and aspect are individual to each. When we interact with others, the individual energies of our natal charts form special relationships with their individual energies. The resulting interplay is as complex and unique as our own personalities.
Free! Astrology 101 on Gaia
Discover the 17 essential astrology concepts you must know, right here on Gaia. Join Master Astrologer Rick Levine for this fascinating journey through planets, signs, and horoscopes. Sign up now – it’s free!
Synastry is a complex art that can shed some incredible light on our relationships. Before you dive in, for example, you need to think about what you really want out of life. What are your priorities? What’s on your bucket list? How much security do you need to feel comfortable? Someone with a sensitive water sign type, for example, could easily clash with the intense, passionate fire partner, which is something you might want to know for the long haul once the romance has worn off. Or conversely, if adventure and excitement is your priority, such as is the case for Aquarius or Sagittarius, Cancer’s tender loving home care could make you feel stifled instead of nurtured. These are important things to think about being committing to a serious relationship, so that you can avoid some serious and harmful tussles in your future.
Compatibilities for Each Sign
Here are the range of compatibilities for each sign from Astromatcha; for a more detailed view of each individual relationship, take a look at their site. They write of the signs, “Most astrologers making a compatibility chart will put opposite signs, signs which share the same element and trine signs (signs of a complementary element) as the most compatible with any given Sun sign. The least compatible Sun signs are usually thought to be inconjunct signs – these are the two signs on either side of your opposite sign. The rest of the Sun sign combinations offer varying levels of compatibility, depending on the amount of effort your put into your relationship.”
Also, be sure to keep in mind that this guide is a mere starting point. It can be a great conversational piece as you figure out your significant others’ likes, dislikes and other quirks. It also shouldn’t be the definitive deciding factor for your relationship, but merely something to take into consideration. After all, no compatibility chart is foolproof, as we as humans are all totally unique!
Watch Zodiac: Aries to Virgo for more information on sign compatibility.
Watch Zodiac: Libra to Pisces for more information on sign compatibility.
March 21 to April 20
- Most compatible signs: Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius
- Least compatible signs: Virgo, Scorpio
- So-so compatibility: Aries, Taurus, Cancer, Capricorn, Pisces
April 21 to May 21
- Most compatible signs for Taurus: Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces
- Least compatible signs for Taurus: Libra, Sagittarius
- So-so compatibility for Taurus: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Leo, Aquarius
May 22 to June 21
- Most compatible signs for Gemini: Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Aries
- Least compatible signs for Gemini: Scorpio, Capricorn
- So-so compatibility for Gemini: Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Virgo, Pisces
June 22 to July 23
- Most compatible signs for Cancer: Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces, Taurus
- Least compatible signs for Cancer: Sagittarius, Aquarius
- So-so compatibility for Cancer: Aries, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Libra
July 24 to August 23
- Most compatible signs for Leo: Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Aries, Gemini
- Least compatible signs for Leo: Capricorn, Pisces
- So-so compatibility for Leo: Taurus, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Scorpio
August 24 to September 23
- Most compatible signs for Virgo: Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces, Taurus, Cancer
- Least compatible signs for Virgo: Aquarius, Aries
- So-so compatibility for Virgo: Gemini, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Sagittarius
September 24 to October 23
- Most compatible signs for Libra: Sagittarius, Aquarius, Aries, Gemini, Leo
- Least compatible signs for Libra: Pisces, Taurus
- So-so compatibility for Libra: Cancer, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Capricorn
October 24 to November 22
- Most compatible signs for Scorpio: Capricorn, Pisces, Taurus, Cancer, Virgo
- Least compatible signs for Scorpio: Aries, Gemini
- So-so compatibility for Scorpio: Leo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Aquarius
November 23 to December 21
- Most compatible signs for Sagittarius: Aquarius, Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra
- Least compatible signs for Sagittarius: Taurus, Cancer
- So-so compatibility for Sagittarius: Virgo, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Pisces
December 22 to January 20
- Most compatible signs for Capricorn: Pisces, Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio
- Least compatible signs for Capricorn: Gemini, Leo
- So-so compatibility for Capricorn; Aries, Libra, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius
January 21 to February 19
- Most compatible signs for Aquarius: Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius
- Least compatible signs for Aquarius: Cancer, Virgo
- So-so compatibility for Aquarius: Taurus, Scorpio, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces
February 20 to March 20
- Most compatible signs for Pisces: Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn
- Least compatible signs for Pisces: Leo, Libra
- So-so compatibility for Pisces: Aries, Gemini, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Pisces
Don't Miss This Rare Solstice Planetary Alignment
Today marks a full planetary parade, a Cancer solstice, and the perfect time for you to expand your potential.
Here’s how you can prepare to get the most out of this rare phenomenon on June 21st the Northern Hemisphere will see the most light while the Southern Hemisphere will be at its darkest.
If we look through a telescope that night, we’ll be able to see all the planets of our solar system lining up with the Moon in between Mars and Jupiter. But starting June 24th, the Moon will be in the constellation of Taurus between Mars and Venus and will be the most beautiful day to look at the sky.
How will this celestial event impact our lives? Astrologer Mercedes Arnus Arraut weighs in on the event.
“So equinox and solstices divide the zodiac wheel into four points, which are the zero degrees of Aires, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn,” Arraut said. “When the Sun enters any of these four constellations, we have an equinox or solstice, bringing in a new season. That’s why these four zodiac signs are called cardinal signs; it’s cardinal energy bringing something new and activating areas in our life that needed action. In this case, the constellation that we’re talking about is Cancer — the energy of home. Cancer season starts on June 21st and talks about homes, safety, family, stability, protection, nurture, and what’s familiar to us — it’s our emotions. So in the upcoming three months, we can experience a renewal of all these matters, since Cancer solstice this year takes place under very dynamic energy.”