5 Crystals For Emotional and Spiritual Support
Crystals have been used for centuries to heal, protect and inspire, but they can also bring renewed power to your meditation and yoga practice. Here are five crystals that can help you to calm your mind, feel more energized, and increase your sense of self-worth.
- Vitality from Carnelian: When difficult energy drags us down, carnelian can be a wonderful source of support. The stone comes in deep reds, oranges and browns, and fosters the life force in us all. It can also be helpful in healing menstrual and/or sexual difficulties, depression, and lower back problems. Placing carnelian at the end of your yoga mat can support your energy levels during practice. Also, in meditation, you might hold a piece of carnelian at your base chakra and imagine that it is warming your abdomen, spreading its healing warmth.
- Protection from Selenite: Selenite is said to carry a very high vibration of healing white light. Thus it is a great bringer of peace during meditation, as well as in troubled times. Selenite can be used to protect against negative energy and unwanted thoughts. In fact, selenite wands are wonderful for demarcating and protecting spiritual space. The crystal can also be used to open the crown chakra and increase our connection to the divine.
- Grounding from Petrified Wood: Petrified wood comes from a tree that once fossilized; the marks on the crystal were once part of the growing tree itself. I have received great comfort and grounding from this loving crystal, which provides a sense of warmth and companionship that growing trees can also provide. Petrified wood deepens our spiritual roots, and can thus ground us in terms of posture and emotional stability. In fearful situations, this crystal calms and nurtures. A wonderful stone for those who are working on balance in yoga or seek companionship amidst an emotional storm.
- Self-Love from Rose Quartz: This beautiful rose-colored crystal opens the heart so that we can attract and express love more freely, whilst also healing pain from the past. Commonly said to be “the stone of the heart,” you can wear it as a heart-shaped pendant during meditation and affirmations, especially if you intend to heal from grief or heartache. Also, whenever you need to be kind to yourself, carry rose quartz with you as a comforting support.
- Enlightenment from Celestite: Celestite is a wonderful stone for clearing the aura and receiving enlightenment. Said to increase our connection with the angels, this crystal can be powerful for visualization and dream recall, as well as creative problem solving. A stone of alignment and balance, it can be of great help when we need to regain clarity and poise. In fact, it can also be used to support our physical balance during yoga practice. I think of celestite—and its cousin, angelite—as a little dose of the heavens.
What's My Birthstone? Birthstone Meanings and Stone Properties by Month
When each of us is born, elements throughout the universe are aligned in uniquely specific formations. Because every aspect of creation is connected, our birth stars and planets are positioned in ways that are meant to impact our lives, both positively and negatively.
Inherent in these constellations and formations is a unique set of influences and energetic attributes. We can choose to move with these constructs, as if being whisked away on mini rollercoasters throughout our lives, or we can challenge them by understanding how they function, then continuously choose to improve our responses to them.
Therein lie two potential responses to our birth influences and the resulting karmic flows: roll with it or rise above it.
What is a Birthstone?
While the stars and planets are working with the energetic aspects within the heavens to bring you to life and then guide you through to your death, there are other players in the game: gemstones. All the stones throughout all the galaxies and universes are born with energetic infusions. This makes each stone unique in its attributes and footprint.
Hinduism tells us that the nine gemstones connected to your specific celestial forces can help you in this life. In Sanskrit, they are known as Navaratna or The Nine Gems. By wearing some of them for specific purposes, you can protect yourself from the negative influences that were found in the heavens at the time and place of your birth month. This is why birthstones can be extremely valuable to us. They can help us break karmic trends, heal ancient wounds, and escape the harshest aspects built into the fabric of our life trajectories.