3 Spirit Animal Meditations
Whether you’re seeking your power animal or you’ve already found these spirits, meditation is a powerful tool to contacting with your animal guides. These three in particular are great ways either to establish that connection or strengthen it, thus adding valuable guidance to your life and direction.
Regardless of which meditation you need, it’s a good idea to have pen and paper ready to go to record these encounters; a journal is preferable. Write down the images, feelings and sounds as much as you remember while it’s still fresh. This will help establish the connection similar to lucid dreaming. The more often you meet with your animal guide, the more you will feel their presence in your conscious state, thus eventually lessening the need for meditations.
Want to read more about your spirit animal? Here are a few characteristics of the top five most common animals, each with their own personalities, strengths and weaknesses.
Lastly before you get started, remember a few things. You may not see your spirit animal right away, even in the first few times that you try. This is a process, and like any other process, it may take a little time and patience to get underway. Plus, we must respect the animal spirit world and their timing, even while knowing that our animal spirits are just as eager to communicate with us are we are. Lastly, don’t feel the need to stick TOO closely to these steps. The journey is obviously very personal, so no one will know better how it works for you other than you.
Meditation for Initial Connection with Your Spirit Animal
(This meditation is adapted from whatsyoursign.com)
- Meditate around the same time of day or night in order to train your subconscious into allowing easier relaxation and smoother connection with the spirit world.
- Create a relaxing, calming environment free of distractions and disorder. In order to help your subconscious’s love of order, it is a good investment to have your ducks in a row without cluttered space.
- Begin your meditation session by setting your intention. It’s important to set forth a firm directive to both your subconscious mind and your spirit, as well as the animal spirit realm that you wish to contact your animal totem. Silently to yourself, repeat your affirmation to meet your animal spirit in your dreams. You can use the following phrase, or create your own:
“This moment, I receive the gift of animal sight.
This moment, my animal spirit takes flight.
Reveal to me what I must see.
This moment, my animal totem connects with me.”
Repeat this until you are in alpha state of meditation. Relax to aid your subconscious and the connection with your spirit anima. Wait and be patient, listening for contact.
- Upon stopping your meditation, write down your experience in your animal totem journal. This is critical. We record our experiences so that our minds can further digest the events surrounding our animal symbol. Writing these events also gives us a point of reference when determining the characteristics of our animal symbol, and helps us interpret the messages our animal is conveying to us.
- Be sure to write each detail. For example:
- What was your animal doing when you saw it? Flying? Swimming?
- What exactly did it look like? Healthy? Sick?
- What color was it? Natural color? Unusual?
- What were the surroundings? Rain forest? Desert? Murky water?
- Take a break. After awhile, a few hours, or even a day – come back to your animal totem journal and read what you wrote for that session. Begin to do research on the animal that revealed itself to you. Begin to piece these characteristics together, along with the other details surrounding your animal’s appearance during sleep/meditation. Eventually, you will begin to piece together a beautiful tapestry of deeper understanding of yourself, your life and your reality.
- Repeat this process for continuous messages, and deeper understanding.
By continually following this guideline, you will become stronger in your interpretive abilities, and trust your intuition more in working with you animal totems. Furthermore, as you grow in this process, the animal spirits will show themselves more frequently, as they will sense your confidence as well as your respect for their presence.
Meditation for Communicating with Your Spirit Animal
- Relax your mind and body in a calm environment.
- Close your eyes and take two long deep breaths, breathing slowly in through your nose and holding the breath as long as is comfortable for you. Breathe out slowly through your mouth. Still your thoughts.
- Set your intention similarly to the process above.
- As you are still, open your receptiveness to any and all images of shapes, colors and so on. As things become more clear, silently or aloud ask your spirit animal to show him or herself to you at this time. Watch what comes into view. Be patient; you are engaging your Third Eye, which, if you are not regularly maintaining, may be a little rusty or slow.
- Wait until your spirit animal shows up, and again, be receptive and free of preconceptions. It may or may not be the animal you were anticipating, or it may be more than one animal. It may even be a mythological animal. Once you see the animal, watch it carefully to see what it does. Open your spiritual ears to any and all messages, whether they are feelings or words.
- Note the details of the scene; the colors have significance.
- Wait until the image fades or until you are ready to stop. Write or draw what you have seen.
Meditation for Journeying with Your Spirit Animal
- Relax your mind and body.
- Close your eyes and take two long deep breaths, breathing slowly in through your nose and holding the breath as long as is comfortable for you. Breathe out slowly through your mouth.
- Connect with your power animal through images as you open your third eye. If you can see the animal in movement – follow the animal to see where it takes you and what messages it wishes you to learn. If you are having trouble following the animal, first visualize the animal, then see it moving away. Be open to where it goes; it might be through an ordinary Earth scene, or even though time and space!
- Once you have connected with the animal, mentally tell the animal that you wish it to take you on a spirit journey so you can learn more about your soul journey at this time.
- Keep your mind open and willing to go on the journey. We can’t tell you specifically what will happen, as each animal is very different, but be prepared to go someplace that the spirit animal wishes to show you. Pay close attention to everything that happens.
- Make notes about your journey when you return.
How to Communicate With Your Ancestors
The desire to communicate with our ancestors is an innate part of the human experience. We intuitively sense their presence in our wisdom bodies and it begs the question: can we communicate with them?
Through daily prayer, mediation, creation of art, music, food, and ceremony, the ancestor spirits can communicate, guide, protect, and heal the living. Ancestral communication has been an ancient practice in every wisdom tradition throughout time. Your ability to connect with your ancestors is always available.
In particular, the days on and around October 31 to November 2 are a transformational portal on the wheel of life. It’s the mid-point between fall and winter, the death and dying season. Therefore, it’s a powerful time to communicate with one’s ancestors. This article offers guidance on how to create a beautiful ceremonial journey to communicate with your ancestors.
The Traditions of Ancestral Communication
Ancestral communications is an ancient and daily practice found in many cultures around the world, including Mayan, Celtic, Aborigine, Indigenous American, Ancient Greece, Ancient Eurasia, African Tribal, Tibetan, and the Vedic/Yogic traditions. Some major religions, such as the Catholic faith, honor the deceased on All Saints Day and All Souls Day with prayers, candles, incense, chanting, ceremony, and offerings. In Mexico, they celebrate the Day of the Dead (Dia De Los Muertos). And in the Celtic tradition, Samhain, which observes the transition time between the two worlds.
In our culture, we are familiar with Halloween or All Hallows Eve. However, much of the essence and spiritual wisdom connected to these ceremonial days – meant to honor and communicate with one’s ancestors – has been lost.
I lost my own father early in life. Through ancestral communication, I have been able to open my heart, experiencing a deeper love within myself, due to the work I have done to connect with my father and other ancestors. Through this work, I have been able to reconcile deep wounds and karmic patterns that stem back even beyond my Dad, but also to my deceased grandparents and living family.
Ancestral work can transform the karmas of past generations, as well as work into the current and future generations for healing.
Halloween and The Day of the Dead
These two celebrations are traditionally considered ceremonial days and nights to honor and communicate with one’s ancestors. This is a time to create family altars, perform ceremonies with the ancestors, and layout offerings of flowers, incense, crystals, art, and food. Halloween or All Hallows Eve literally means Holy Night or All Saint’s Night. It is a time to honor and communicate with those that have taken their spirit walk, ancestors, and the holy or saintly ones. The Day of the Dead maintains the spiritual essence of ceremony, honor, and communication in the deeper regions of Mexico.
Last year at this time, I was in southern Mexico, in the city of Merida, studying the Mayan tradition. Two days before the Day of the Dead, I decided to take a walk in the main plaza to enjoy the night air. I encountered a celebration amongst the locals. Dozens of families from surrounding villages were joyfully creating altars, cooking and sharing food, lighting candles, putting up photos of their deceased, and playing music all around the central plaza. It was a very moving experience and I could feel the light coming in through their intentions and offerings to their familial ancestors.
Elements of these beautiful ceremonies and altar practices can be observed in our modern Halloween by way of candles in jack-o-lanterns, candy offerings, and festivities. If you choose, you can mindfully reconnect to these ancient practices while the veil between the two worlds is open this time of year.