For all you Mexican food lovers out there, this recipe is bound to satisfy your taste buds. This tasty Mexican dish is packed full of herbs and spices.
**Why it is good for you: **
This flavor-packed recipe is full of fiber, healthy carbohydrates and delicious, fresh ingredients. The health benefits of black beans, their versatility, and their high nutrient content make them one of the stars of this Mexican bean chili.
Consuming black beans has been shown to improve heart health, protect against cancer, increase fiber intake, improve digestion, boost energy and stabilize blood sugar. They are also a great plant-based protein.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 x 14 oz (1 x 400g) tin of black beans (or soak and cook dried black beans prior)
- 1 x 14 oz (1 x 400g) tin of kidney beans
- 1 x 14 oz (1 x 400g) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 kale leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper
- ½ bunch cilantro (coriander) leaves for garnish
- ½ avocado, to serve