Meditation isn’t always for the purpose of moving into quiet states of stillness. We can use the practice of meditation as a way to go inside, to check in with ourselves and better direct our energy. Guided meditations are a tool of awareness that allows us to be in conscious, present creation with ourselves.
What are Chakras? Chakras are the points where spirit and physical meet. Imagine them like wheels constantly in motion. This is the way spirit inhabits our physical form. When these wheels are "stuck," no life force can move and we can begin to feel out of whack or even sick. Located in both the subtle and physical bodies, there are literally hundreds of chakras although the primary 7 are where most focus is given.
These main 7 Chakras are:
- Root – base of spine – Muladhara - red
- Sacral – below the naval – Svadisthana - orange
- Solar Plexus – above navel – Manipura - yellow
- Heart – heart, center of chest – Anahata - green
- Throat – throat – Visuddha - blue
- 3rd eye– at forehead between the eyes – Ajna - indigo
- Crown– top of head – Sahasrara - violet
In recent years, there are two others that I find to be of massive importance to our higher evolution. As we are growing in our frequency and spiritual capacity, including these additional chakras will better support and uplift all spiritual pursuits.
- Earth Star – located beneath the feet – black or brown
- Crown Star – located above the head – white, gold, or platinum
Chakra Color Variations
The colors of the chakras come from the Hindu wisdom tradition and are a good base line for aligning your chakras. However, as the prevalence of star seeds, Crystals, Indigos and sundry other old souls has occurred, different colors have been appearing! If you discover that your root chakra is gold, go with that!
I find my chakra colors to be radically different than those prescribed by the primary teachings given. While this initially bothered me, I find I am most in alignment with my soul when I honor the colors as they present themselves to me.
The color red in my root, for instance, makes me antsy and uncomfortable. When I place gold there, I relax and feel at peace. Play around with the colors and find that which supports you optimally.
Spinal energy for meditation
We can understand physically the importance of our spine, carrying all our nervous system and organs while literally giving structure to our bodies. Spinal mastery is also an important facet of our spiritual health. Many traditions treat the spine with careful attention and focus as it is the main gateway through which subtle energies flow through the spine.
Beyond spiritual development, the spine holds important codes for our soul’s potential as our latent DNA/RNA pulsates within. When we can learn to be in tune with our spinal health, a wealth of information is offered to us which can make us better masters of our selves in every way!
Sitting with a straight spine is crucial but it should exercised at your own level of comfort. When we can feel our spine lengthened, it is easier to connect with the cosmic and earth energies in place to assist us. Please do not make yourself uncomfortable with maintaining a “straight spine.” This preoccupation with form will only distract your focus and will nullify the healing effects we are here to receive.
Seeing the chakras is quite a marvelous gift, but not one that we all are able to do. When we use the word “visualize,” imagine feeling and experiencing rather than seeing. Psychic senses are elusive and the best psychics are unable to “see” but use other ways of perception instead.
Feel the color, the shape, the texture of each chakra. Engage your other senses to navigate and don’t get hung up on the word visualize. For some of us (myself included) seeing isn’t a given. Rather allow your imagination to fill in the spaces.
Imagination is a cerebral word for intuition after all and we should allow ourselves to perceive in whatever way feels most true and powerful for us.
This is an easy and accessible way to move a massive amount of energy and begin to feel better. Soon you’ll be able to achieve bliss through a few minutes of quiet attention to these energy centers.
Please note the size of the chakras will incorporate both the physical and energetic bodies. Chakras ideally will be centered and pulsating with sweet energy.
Meditation to Align your Chakras:
- Sit comfortably with your spine lengthened and begin to breathe deeply but gently. Close your eyes to bless yourself with total presence during this meditation.
- Imagine a brown (or black) ball of energy at your feet. Breathe with it and allow it to expand to the size of a beach ball. This is the Earth Star Chakra and will begin to help you pulsate with the heartbeat of the Earth.
- Moving into your body, bring your attention to your Root Chakra. For some of us this is at the perineum for others its between the thighs. Feel and trust your own way!
- See the Root as a red glowing orb. Feel with it gradually and expand it to the size of a beach ball.
- Bringing your attention to your Sacral chakra, feel the warm orange glow and expand or decrease it to match the size of the other two.
- Continue moving up your body to the Solar Plexus and allow the warmth of the sun to charge this yellow chakra. Expand its size to be in alignment with those already balanced below.
- Feel the inviting green of your Heart chakra and breathe into it until it too is a consistent size.
- Bring yourself to the blue of your Throat, breathing with it until its size matches those below.
- The 3rd eye chakra will emit an indigo colored light deeper and more powerful than the blue of your Throat. This one may take a bit more care and patience or, in the case of highly sensitive people, it may be noticeably out of whack with the others. Be patient as it comes into alignment with the other chakras.
- Drifting upward to the Crown feel the vibrant violet that resides there. Effortlessly allow its size to match that of the others.
- The platinum (white or gold) light will be our final place of attention. Residing about six inches above the crown, this chakra connects us to the galactic realms giving us a direct connection with our deeper soul. Be with it until it too reaches the size of the others.
- With all chakras balanced, thank yourself for this loving attention you have just shared and commit yourself to getting to be present with each more often.
- Gently open your eyes and carry on with the ways of feeling more of yourself in the world!
You may notice afterward that the size of your chakras was not consistent. This is precisely the purpose of the meditation – to gain knowledge about yourself and your energy of which you were unaware! Continued practice with this chakra balancing will be easier and you can more quickly assess where your energy is depleted or over excited and requires attention.
As you deepen in your chakra meditations, you will experience more of your truth. Sit with the colors, befriend the wisdom of each energy center, and allow yourself to embody if even for a moment the frequency which is being given to you. What may initially be a simple exercise in how to balance your chakras could form the basis of a whole new path of enlightenment.
I love sitting in each chakra and expanding it through my whole body. When I work with the Soul Star chakra my head gets itchy as if inviting to be in more harmony. When I’m feeling insecure, my Heart chakra snaps shut. We will all have our own blessed way of working with these energies and happily this further exploration helps us understand ourselves better!